Sunday, October 2, 2022

Carbon monoxide detectors sold on Amazon don’t detect carbon monoxide, officials say

-

- Advertisement -


Carbon monoxide detectors sold on Amazon failed to detect the gas during sensitivity tests, officials said.

Carbon monoxide detectors sold on Amazon failed to detect the gas during sensitivity tests, officials said.

U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission

Officials are warning consumers to stop using carbon monoxide detectors sold on Amazon.

The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission issued a warning Thursday, Sept. 22, that carbon monoxide detectors from Amazon failed sensitivity tests to detect the gas.

“If a consumer installs a CO detector that does not alert to the presence of carbon monoxide, and carbon monoxide enters the home, the consumer will not be warned of the presence of this harmful gas, making injury or death very likely,” officials said in the news release.

Officials said the detectors are made of white plastic and have a digital display feature. They were sold on Amazon under ASIN B07T66J7KJ for between $9 and $13.

The commission did not say how many detectors had been sold.

“The CO detectors can fail to alert consumers to the presence of carbon monoxide,” officials said. “More than 150 people in the United States die every year from accidental, non-fire related CO poisoning associated with consumer products.”

Amazon said the product has been removed from its online store.

“We require all products offered in our store to comply with applicable laws and regulations and have developed industry-leading tools to prevent unsafe or non-compliant products from being listed in our stores,” Amazon told McClatchy News in an email. “We are notifying customers of the CPSC’s concerns and issuing refunds.”

Carbon monoxide is odorless and colorless. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said thousands of people get sick from carbon monoxide every year.

The gas can come from common household items, including furnaces, generators and charcoal grills.

The CDC said people can take these steps to help protect themselves from carbon monoxide:

  • Install a battery-operated carbon monoxide detector near every sleeping area in your home.

  • Check carbon monoxide detectors regularly to make sure they are working properly.

  • Have your furnace inspected each year.

  • Never use a generator in your home or garage. Only use them outdoors, 20 feet from your home.

Maddie Capron is a McClatchy Real-Time News Reporter focused on the outdoors and wildlife in the western U.S. She graduated from Ohio University and previously worked at CNN, the Idaho Statesman and Ohio Center for Investigative Journalism.


(Except for the headline, this story has not been edited by PostX News staff and is published from a syndicated feed.)

Source

- Advertisement -

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Related Stories