A garbage truck fire sparked Wednesday by improperly discarded lithium batteries resulted in a citation for a California resident, police said.
The fire broke out inside the truck in Campbell and also damaged a power pole, police said in a news release. Police closed roads and Pacific Gas & Electric Co. workers repaired the line.
Lithium batteries caused similar fires in the neighborhood Sept. 22 and Oct. 6, police said.
After an investigation, police cited a resident for illegal dumping, the release said.
“Lithium batteries are considered a hazardous waste and should not be thrown away in your garbage,” police said. There are two drop-off centers for batteries in Santa Clara County.
Campbell is a city of about 40,000 southwest of San Jose in the San Francisco Bay Area.
(this story/news/article has not been edited by PostX News staff and is published from a syndicated feed)